We take reservations of all sizes via phone or email: 734.224.2161 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Located in the Kerrytown district of downtown Ann Arbor, DSFS is a bright and inviting space. The building is situated a on a triangle-shaped lot across from Farmer's Market and the People's Food Co-op. The dining area opens up onto an attractive, covered outdoor patio surrounded by beautiful planters. The indoor space is lined with operable windows, providing fresh air and a nice view of tree-lined Catherine St. Integral to the ambiance is the blurring of the boundary between indoor and outdoor settings. The design incorporates both historic and modern elements. One of Ann Arbor's most recognizable historic buildings, the Detroit Street Filling Station dates its inception to 1925 as The Staebler Family Oil Company. While the restaurant today has a modern feel, the lamps and wall art pieces evoke the building's filling station roots.
300 Detroit Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
The Detroit Street Filling Station is just a few steps from Kerrytown Market & Shops, Farmers Market and from our Diner & Canteen location.
Tuesday – Saturday 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Sunday Brunch: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
SIDES & SALADS
· Soup du jour $4/$6
· Black bean chili with cornbread $5/$7
· Ethiopian collard greens $4
· Organic Tater tots w/ yum yum sauce $6
· Loaded nacho tots (nacho cheese, jackfruit carnitas, salsa) $8
· Chili cheese tots $8
· Chips, nacho cheese & salsa plate $7
· Winter salad: baby spinach, grapefruit, navel orange, blood orange, roasted smoky chickpeas, avocado, red onion, & pecans with grapefruit vinaigrette. $10
· Santa Fe Salad (jackfruit carnitas, baby greens, tortilla crumbles, tomato, cucumber, red bell pepper, red onion, avocado, chipotle ranch) $10
· Side Garden Salad $6
· Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos $10
· Ramen (Pho-style) $12
· Food cart throwback: BBQ tofu sliders with tangy Thai slaw (10% of sales go to YJF) $8
· BBQ tofu platter: slaw, rice, greens, cornbread $12
PRESSED SANDWICHES $9
· Cuban with pickled peppers, sweet mayo, cheese, & seitan
· Grilled cheese with tomato
· Tapenade with eggplant, artichoke, roasted red pepper
· French toast $8
· Pancakes with strawberries, earth balance & maple syrup $8
· Monte Cristo French toast sandwich $10
· Thai fried bananas $6
· Tofu scramble with potatoes, fruit & toast $12
· Sexy Avocado Toast $5
· Granola & almond milk $6
· Burrito/ burrito bowl $9
Do you take reservations for groups larger than 4?
Yes, if you are requesting a reservation the same day, please give us a call during regular business hours 734.224.2161. If you a requesting a reservation with more advance notice, please email us email@example.com.
Do you take reservations for large groups over 15 people?
We would like to ask you for additional information about your event. Please email us firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about large group reservations.
Do you offer carry-out?
We sure do! Please take a look at our menu above and give us a call to place your order or order online using the link above.
Why Detroit Street Filling Station?
The Staebler Family Oil Company opened a filling station at 300 Detroit Street in 1925. The original pillars and clay tile roof can still be seen inside and outside of the restaurant. By 1967 it was converted to the Ann Arbor Fish Market and the front drive-through area was enclosed with white stucco, leaving the original brick columns exposed on the corners. After Kerrytown opened the building became Argiero's Italian Restaurant in 1977. A small addition was made along Detroit Street and the front, facing the point of the intersection, extended as outdoor dining space. Argiero's closed after 40 years of service. The Lunch Room expanded into this historical landmark and opened Detroit Street Filling Station August 2017.
Where does the lightning bolt come from?
We have been endlessly inspired by the history of the building. It didn't stop when it came the time to design our own logo. Although being a little wonky, we could not get out of our head the Staebler Oil Co. logo from an ad we came across during buildout. When looking for our place for the first time, just look for the giant yellow lightning bolt on the roof. Our neon sign was made by Chalou DeSigns who is famous for many signs around Ann Arbor like the Fleetwood Diner and State Theater marquee.